Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Online and Entirely Personal

Collegiate experiences usually conjure images of lecture halls and late nights in the library. As we progress further into the 21st century, however, the collegiate landscape is becoming broader.

Thanks to technology, the opportunity to obtain a college degree extends far beyond the traditional live-on-campus-for-four-years model. Many LETU students have families and full-time jobs that shouldn’t suffer at the hands of pursuing their college degree, and with the university’s online degree programs, they don’t have to.

Renee Breaux is one LETU student who experienced this balance firsthand. She’s attending LETU as an online student majoring in teachereducation. She has a husband and two young daughters, works full-time as a teaching assistant and also has a part-time second job. Despite her busy schedule, she decided to pursue a bachelor’s degree and chose LETU’s online program. Her reasons for doing so were two-fold.

I chose LETU because of the amount of courses offered online.  The online courses fit into my schedule the best,” Breaux said. “I also took courses at another university, and I was able to transfer those in easily and apply them toward my degree.”

However, Breaux’s decision to attend LeTourneau wasn’t based solely on logistics.

“I was looking for a faith-based education. I loved the idea of being a part of a university that places God first.”

University founder R.G. LeTourneau advocated for work done well for the glory of God. Our faculty and staff carry on that vision in giving an extra measure of support to working, online students so that they succeed in both their jobs and educations.

“I always feel at LETU that I am a person who matters.  I have been in contact on a regular basis with my academic advisor, who always seems genuinely interested in my success,” Breaux said. “I also feel the professors take a genuine interest in their students. I recall having difficulty understanding an assignment, and the professor was on the phone with me until midnight trying to help me understand it.”

Breaux’s degree will allow her to accomplish her ultimate goal of being a special education teacher.

“I love working with children who have special needs and feel that God has called me to teach these children,” Breaux said.

There are many online programs nationwide from which to choose; however, there are few that offer the same personal attention as one would receive from being physically on campus, and even fewer that are authentically Christ-centered. It’s what makes LETU’s online program incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment