Thursday, August 28, 2014

Incredible Beginnings

It's the first week of the 2014-2015 academic year, and we took a moment to get the perspective of students, faculty, and staff on how they feel to be back in the swing of the semester, what they missed over the summer, and what they hope this year brings. 



It's the beginning of the end for Kate Hendrix (left) and Katie Carvalho, both mechanical engineering majors. "I've liked the time that I've had here and enjoyed the people I've met over the past few years," Kate said. 
"I'm excited to be on the home stretch but I want to make it last as long as I can. I realized this summer what a great place this is and how much I'm going to miss my friends," Katie said.


“As a staff member of LeTourneau University I am always happy to see students returning after being away all summer. Campus becomes alive again, and there are all sorts of activities going on. I love hearing conversations that students are having about their classes, about dorm activities, and even about something exciting they are learning on their spiritual journey. The start of a new school year definitely comes with craziness, and packed schedules, but feeling the hopeful energy pulsing around campus at this time is always an encouragement.”  - Grant Bridgman, Enrollment Officer



"It's good to be back. I'm energized by students." - Dr. Judy Taylor, professor of mathematics. 


"I'm excited to share with students the opportunities where they can take the kingdom of God with them and be the mission of LETU; literally every workplace, every nation." - Amanda Beck, Study Abroad Coordinator


Ryan Gadberry, who just transferred in as a junior, said "I only have three semesters here, but I love that I'm getting all the benefits of an excellent academic experience." (Ryan claims he's not photogenic enough for a photo of his face, but he did let us get a shot of him typing.


Kyle Jacobs, sophomore mechanical engineering major: "I'm glad to be back. It's great to see all my friends again. I also play baseball and it's good to get back into athletics and see my teammates."


"We start our athletic season on Friday - men's and women's soccer. It's a home game against Centenary. There will be free hot dogs!" - Terri Deike, Athletics Director


Sophomore Sarah Snyder, English language and literature major said of returning to LETU, "It's good. It's been a leap into the unknown for me. I just changed my major because, basically, I had a conversation with Jesus and I feel I need to be able to use my degree in a foreign country." 


"The thing I'm most excited about is to share Christ with and speak into the lives of international students, because it gives me the opportunity to interact with people groups I never would otherwise. That's what makes the difference for me teaching at a Christian university." Dr. Ken Rouse, professor of computer science. 


Senior political science major Kaylee Pritchett is looking forward: "I'm using this year to set my plans for the future. I'm planning on going to law school." 


Welcome home, LETU community! Needless to say, we're thrilled school's back in session.



No comments:

Post a Comment