Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Incredible Interviews: Heritage Scholar Competition


One hundred and forty-three of the best and brightest high school seniors from 30 states and four countries recently visited LeTourneau’s campus to compete for the prestigious Heritage Scholarship.

It’s not something to be taken lightly – the Heritage Scholarship covers four years of tuition and is worth over $100,000. To be eligible, students must have at least a 3.6 GPA and score of 28 on the ACT or 1260 on the SAT. The competition takes into account their GPA and test scores, but depends primarily on an interview by faculty from the student’s area of interest.

One Heritage Scholar traveled all the way from Kandern, Germany to compete. Keith Gallagher is currently awaiting the Heritage Scholar awards announcement back in Europe. He has several reasons why he’s set his sights on attending LeTourneau.

“I love both the maths and sciences and would like to continue my exploration in them through mechanical engineering, and LeTourneau is such a renowned engineering school. I also desire to attend a Christian university. It was hard to find one with a statement of faith I agree with, until I read that of LeTourneau.”

While the competition was paramount, the weekend was also a fun time of meeting other students and getting to know LeTourneau.

“It was a very enjoyable event. I was quite impressed with the campus, the staff I met and the school as a whole,” Gallagher said. “I enjoyed the entire event, but I would say my favorite part was meeting a lot of cool people, including staff, current students and my fellow competitors.”

Longview, Texas a long way from Germany. Keith isn’t worried, though. He strongly feels LeTourneau is the university for him: “As a missionary kid, I have always thought of ‘home’ as the place where I am currently located, and I will quickly come to think of LeTourneau as such. ‘Home’ is the location of the people I love; this transition will not be leaving home for me, but making home bigger.”











No comments:

Post a Comment